July 21, 2009
by Jim Cullison

While it is sad that Frank McCourt passed away from melanoma at the age of 78, I have to say that I was not a fan of his books, at least the two that I read. It took me three tries before I could get through his breakthrough best-selling memoir, Angela's Ashes, and the first couple of times I picked it up I remember throwing it against a wall after the first thirty pages or so.

Eventually I just kept repeating to myself that it was his story, and he was entitled to tell it, and I plowed through the thing, just to be able to say that I'd read it. My grandfather grew up in Limerick, and I guess I got repeatedly annoyed with how the various characters behaved.

As for Teacher Man, I really hope that few prospective teachers read it and take it to heart as some sort of inspiration or guide on how to teach. Between that book and "Dead Poets' Society," too many idealistic, leftish-leaning college grads will get the wrong idea about what education is all about and how school teaching really works...

But at least the guy ended life rich, happy, and famous...and he seemed genial enough...

Comments