January 10, 2013
by Jim Cullison

I freely concede that there is a deliberately paleolithic quality to my classroom, or at least, an early 1990s feel to the Bunker of Learning. As we journey farther and farther into the twenty-first century, I derive special relish from the perplexed expressions on the faces of the youts when they amble into P 115 and gaze upon an overhead projector. One especially confused child asks, "What IS that?" I tell him, and he asks, "what does it do?" To which I say, "this way learning lies." Then they see the VCR. Mystified again, they query, "What's THAT?" I tell them, and they tenaciously follow up with, "Well, what does it do." They are astonished when I tell them. Then they point at my Larry Bird posters and ask, "Who's that, and why is he wearing such short shorts?" I always respond, "this is your personal savior. Accept him on behalf of your own salvation."

Comments